How to write a Dear Family Letter for your potential host family:
This letter should give a family a better picture of yourself, where you are coming from, your family traditions and so on. There are few ideas what you should mention in your letter:
- Do you have brothers and sisters? How old are they, what do they do, what they like?
- How old are your parents, what do they do what kind of relationship you have with them?
- Do you have family meetings, do you talk to your relatives or you leave far away from them?
- What kind of activities does your family do at the weekends? Do you go on holidays together? Do you have a summer house where you spend most summer?
- What is your role in your family? Do you help with younger siblings, housework, cooking
- Do you have pets?
- Are you an organised person or more casual? ( Be careful what you are putting here - being tidy does not necessary mean a good thing . Some families don't like au pair to organise them, some are irritated by untidy person. This is the most common problem in relationship between family and au pair, just be honest! )
- Can you describe yourself? Are shy, introvert, calm, very active, etc?
- What have you done so far? Like attending a college, wining competitions, being a member of some organisation, travel and etc?
- Why do you want to be an au pair?
- What experience do you have when it comes to looking after children?
- Do you think you will be able to cope without our family, friends, girlfriend or boyfriend?
- Have you ever lived away from home? If so for how long and when?
- What do you want to gain from au pair experience?
- What are your future plans?